Most gaming laptops are powered by Intel CPUs and have been for many years. AMD shook things up earlier this year with Ryzen and now, the respectable desktop chip has found its way to a portable platform courtesy of Asus.
The ASUS ROG Strix GL702ZC is one of the first gaming laptops to feature a Ryzen processor and most definitely not the last. The ASUS ROG Strix GL702ZC will be available in three variants, one with an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 processor, another one a slightly more affordable one with an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Processor and a third with a 120Hz display panel.
- Display: 17.3-inch IPS LCD panel with a resolution of 1920×1080 and a refresh rate of 60/120Hz, depending on variant. Compatible with AMD FreeSync.
- Dimensions and Weight: 415 x 280 x 34 mm, weighs 3.2 kilograms.
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (8 cores/16 threads, clocked at 3GHz) or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (6 cores/12 threads, clocked at 3.2Ghz).
- GPU: AMD Radeon Rx580 with 4GB of GDDR5 memory.
- Memory and Storage: 8GB of DDR4 RAM which can be expanded up to 32GB via SO-DIMM slots. Up to 2TB 7200rpm SATA drive with 256/512GB of NVMe SSD storage. It is most likely to be a combination of a 500GB/1TB/2TB 5400/7200RPM SATA drive along with a 256/512GB SSD.
- Ports and I/O: 3xUSB 3.0 Type-A, 1xUSB 2.0 Type-C, 1xMini DisplayPort and 1xHDMI port with FreeSync, Chicklet RGB-Backlit keyboard, 1×3.5mm audio jack and 1xmulti-format SD card reader
- Connectivity: 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.2, HD web camera and a Gigabit Ethernet port.
The Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC is available as of writing at WebAntics.com priced at R 26,599.00 Incl VAT.